06 May H2Ports
Implementing Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Technologies in Ports
Maritime transport and its logistic infrastructures (maritime ports, inland waterways, logistics platforms, etc.) are essential to keep the European Union (EU) in the leading position of world-developed areas. The impact of this strategic sector in the quality of life of European citizens and in the EU competitiveness is crucial, as maritime transport and the port sector is a powerful key driver for job creation and economic welfare. Promoting innovation on efficiency and sustainability of seaports is a fundamental issue.
The H2Ports project will demonstrate and validate at the Port of Valencia in real port operations two innovative solutions based on FC technologies and a hydrogen mobile supply station specifically designed for the project. A Reach Stacker to be tested in MSC Terminal Valencia and a Yard Tractor to be tested in Valencia Terminal Europa (part of Grimaldi’s group) have been selected as those specially fitted to the use of Fuel Cells in port facilities.
The project will run the equipment on a daily basis during two years of real operational activities and will analyse ways of improving the energy efficiency, performance and safety of operations with Fuel Cells port equipment. The project will also take into account transversal issues such as the human factor, regulation, the future roll out of the technology on a fully commercial basis and the raise of awareness of the potential of hydrogen adoption as an alternative fuel in port equipment.
H2Ports aims to boost the transition of the European port industry towards an effective low-carbon/zero-emission and safe operative model, piloting, evaluating and demonstrating new Fuel Cell technologies oriented to increase energy efficiency, decarbonisation and safety of port terminals. The pilots to be tested in the project will be the first experiences of the use of hydrogen technologies in port handling equipment in Europe.
- Type of project: Research and Innovation Action
- Timing: 01/01/2019 > 01/01/2022
- Project website: www.h2ports.eu
- Project Budget: 4.000.000,00
FCH2-JU – HORIZON 2020
- Fundacion de la Comunidad Valenciana Para La Investigacion, Promocion Y Estudios Comerciales De Valencia Port (Coordinator),
- Atena – Distretto Alta Tecnologia Energia Ambiente
- Autoridad Portuaria De Valencia
- Ballard Power Systems Europe AS
- Centro Nacional de Experimentacion de Tecnologias de Hidrogeno Y Pilas de Combustibile Consorcio
- Grimaldi Euromed
- Hyster-Yale Nederland B.V.
- Mediterranean Shipping Company Terminal Valencia
Sub project categories:
Research and Innovation Action