08 Set e-SHyIPS
Ecosystem Knowledge in standards for hydrogen implementation on passenger ship
Hydrogen fuel cells market potentials in the maritime sector have been demonstrated in the last years with several vessels flagship projects.
Despite hydrogen is a worldwide considered a valid option to reach the emission reduction targets, also part of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) strategy, a regulatory framework applicable to hydrogen fuelled ships is not yet available.
E-SHyIPS brings together the Hydrogen and maritime stakeholders and international experts, through an Advisory Board, to gather new knowledge based on regulatory framework review and experimental data on ship design, safety systems, material and components and bunkering procedures.
The approach is “vessel independent”, in order to avoid the burdens of customized projects, and is focused on the risk and safety assessment methodologies.
Based on this, e-SHyIPS will define a pre-standardization plan for IGF code update for the hydrogen-based fuels passenger ships and a roadmap for the boost of Hydrogen economy in the maritime sector.
- Type of project: Research and Innovation Action
- Timing: 01/01/2021 > 31/12/2024
- Project website:
- Project Budget: 2.500.000,00
- FCH2-JU – HORIZON 2020
POLITECNICO DI MILANO (Coordinator)
- ENTE NAZIONALE ITALIANO DI UNIFICAZIONE-UNI
- Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy
- CINECA CONSORZIO INTERUNIVERSITARIO
- Atena – Distretto Alta Tecnologia Energia Ambiente
- Proton Motor Fuel Cell GmbH
- Levante Ferries M.C
- GHENOVA INGENIERIA SLU
- DANAOS SHIPPING COMPANY LIMITED
- OY WOIKOSKI AB
- IDF-Ingegneria del fuoco srl
- Municipality of Andravida – Kyllini
- DNV GL HELLAS SA
- SCHEEPSWERF DAMEN GORINCHEM BV
News & Galleries
In Piacenza, on May 18th, UNI - the Italian Standardization Body willorganize the workshop "Standards the use of hvdrogen: state of the art and future prospects"...
The e-SHyIPS project aims to define the new guidelines for an effective introduction of hydrogen in maritime passenger transport sector....